Personal branding: characteristics of a strong personal brand
How many times have you been at a networking function and been lost for words when asked "what do you do"?
We all have. But do you see this as a threat or an opportunity?
Developing a Personal Branding Statement or PBS can be a powerful way to help market yourself to prospects, clients or potential employers.
Here are 8 characteristics of a strong personal brand:
1. WOW factor. It must be memorable with high recall. Hearing it makes people say 'WOW that's interesting ...... tell me more'. Be truthful, accentuate interesting or key parts of your role without fabricating the facts.
2. 10 words or less. The fewer words the more powerful it will be. Often a strong summary will work for all networking functions. However tailor your spiel for the conversation, people will be more interested in something they recognise.
3. Focus on benefits. The statement should address the age old marketing question 'What's in it for me', known as the WIIFM.
4. It should reflect your values, beliefs and personal mission in life rather then just a profession. Be passionate about what you do and relay this in your message.
5. Saying it should give the impression of confidence and energy.
6. Use it as a 'Teaser'. Don't tell the whole story - think of the analogy of a newspaper, radio or TV headline encouraging the target audience to want to find out more. The questions generated by your opening spiel should act to direct the explanation to the person's needs. Let them identify areas they are interested in rather then covering it all.
7. Positioning. Marketing is all about positioning - use it to position and differentiate yourself in the marketplace.
8. Be flexible. Slogans, brand names and themes change over time and in different situations. Change it to fit your market, interests and career aspirations. Know enough about what you do to be confident and flexible, uncertainty can portray distrust or other negative implications.
Thomas Murrell MBA CSP is an international business speaker, consultant and award-winning broadcaster. Media Motivators is his regular electronic magazine read by 7,000 professionals in 15 different countries. You can subscribe by visiting http://www.8mmedia.com
. Thomas can be contacted directly at +6189388 6888 and is available to speak to your conference, seminar or event. Visit Tom's blog at http://www.8mmedia.blogspot.com
Article Source: Messaggiamo.Com
» Credit Secrets Bible
» Cash Making Power Sites
» Home Cash Course
» Automated Cash Formula
Webmaster Get Html Code
Add this article to your website now!
Webmaster Submit your Articles
No registration required! Fill in the form and your article is in the Messaggiamo.Com Directory!